Wednesday, March 12, 2008

nadia nasira's journeny into the world

A year has past since my little nadia nasira was born into this world…. Yet the memories of bringing her into this world is so fresh that I thought I would recollect them here.

My friends and I was e-chatting on 27 February 2007.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Basaria Ahayanutheen
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 11:56 AM
To: Nafsiah Hafizah Khalit; Norhani Yusof; Khin, Myat Khine
Cc: Sharifah B. Ali
Subject: Labor

Gals,

Lets discuss about labor…. Im 16 days away from the due date however, esok the doc would do an internal check and let me know when he expects the real date… did you have had constipation during the time dekat dekat nak beranak?

What was your last minute preparation…. My bag nak gi hospital tu mcm nak pegi cuti 3 minggu… baby’s stuff just baju, towel napkin n mcm mcm nak bawak ipoh dah pack… pun ade I bag. all the toiletries, baby siap ade toiletries bag for all the tiny tiny stuff…. Got infant to toddler rocker lah plus all the avent stuff…. I rasa with all the things, baby so gedik… actually it is the parents yg gedik terlebih lebih… nasib baik all these things that we got can be used for subsequent babies and also can us for a few years…

The website that I gave semalam gave me all the tips jugak that is natural or homeopathy based… I cuma practice aromatherapy and I feel so much better… I suggest those yg stressed or have what ever problems to use this thing im practicing, its hydrotheraphy using aromatherapy … nuff knows kan… its CVT punya, its prepared very scientifically…I plan to take bantal I like how hani suggested…. Hmmm ape lagi ye… I dok minum air kelapa muda as this ex matron I terjumpa hari tu suggested to ensure clean delivery…
Lots of walking as sherry’s mum suggested….What else ye….

Warm regards,
Basaria Ahayanutheen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Khin, Myat Khine Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 2:20 PM
To: Basaria Ahayanutheen; Nafsiah Hafizah Khalit; Norhani Yusof
Cc: Sharifah B. Ali
Subject: RE: Labor

Bass, u must let us know the moment labour starts so tt nuff, hani and i can come and kepoh immediately! Sherry can sms fr bahrain! : )

Semalam heard Sherry's voice all the way fr Bahrain! Sigh! Miss this makcik lah. So long havent borak panjang lebar like old times!

Bass, I had badd constipation before labour. I felt like going to bathroom and tried so hard to go .... but nthing.... turns out that that was when the water broke! Labour is like really bad period cramps ... and the whole huge tummy tenses up. Have u been having contractions lately? If you have, labour is like the contractions... only diff is tt there is some pain lah. Mine was not tt bad and I could tahan for abt 9 hours. Then they put in epidural bec they said my darah tinggi would naik if i felt too much pain. Are you going for epidural ke? Hani tak ambil I think. Its best not to take bec I now have some form of back pain. But I cant guarantee how sakit it is without epidural lah. Even with Epidural pun kadang2 sakit juga. They need to increase dosage as the labour pains get worse.

Dont forget to bring some small nail clippers for the baby's fingers. Kadang the nails come out lonnng like nobody's business and need to be cut. otherwise she scratch her face and u kena tegur kiri kanan. I think u would cukur baby when tali pusat falls out and timbang the weight of the hair and then donate the hair's weight in terms of value in gold (boys) or silver (girls) kan? Sometimes their hair is so panjang and even covering the ears etc. So just bring a small scissors and potong sikit and save it in a plastic bag so tt u can add to the cukur portion for donation purposes nanti.

Wht else. We have to cuci the tali pusat area with alcohol swabs. the nurse shd give u that and teach u.

Bring lots of pads and panties and kain batik to wear. There's lots of messy business after. bring sweater and socks for yourself to keep warm also.

Dont forget Nasir's baju and some food for him to eat/drinks for him. The hubby usually ends up starving away and also sejuk like mad bec the bilik is sejuk!

Might as well bring your baby some milk powder in case u dont have enough milk. The hospital would top up for baby now and then but its good to have some stock with u. Dont feed with a bottle give with a small cawan and sudu. No good to get em started on sucking on the bottle right away. Bring some honey and air zam2 to feed baby as well.

Tu je lah kot. I cant remember wht else I angkut dari rumah! I packed and packed and on D day we didnt put the suit case in the car so I went to hospital sehelai sepinggang. Later on only rizal balik rumah to ambil barang!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Basaria Ahayanutheen
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 2:34 PM
To: Khin, Myat Khine; Nafsiah Hafizah Khalit; Norhani Yusof
Cc: Sharifah B. Ali
Subject: RE: Labor

Heehheeh oh my GOD!!!! Thank you so much!!! I would be nice to have you guys around when I open my eyes or come out of labor… for nuff, I was there the day before, tunggu punya tunggu, baby tak lahir… and the next day on Friday, I spoke to her bout lunch time, and she was actually in pain and so kesian when she said, bass, sakitlah… tiba tiba petang tu, I sampai at about 530pm, baby just lahir or something like that. I got to see nazhan as early as some moments after birth.. so nostalgic. Khine, you I tak boleh lah coz sibuk nak kahwin… and Hani, too. Nanti I make it up.

Nasib baik you mentioned all these things to me…. Almost everything that you mentioned not in my list…. See, I referred to some mat Salleh book and did not prepare for all these things….

I think I have experienced Braxton hicks… but not contractionlah… my sis in law described that if contraction, its together with back pain… if the hicks je, the stomach mengeras… betul ke? I taknak epidural, insya Allah… really praying for this…

Nak tanya, must wash tali pusat with alcohol swabs ke? Coz nanti nak tanam, mcm mana?

I will have to print this email and add to my list of things…. Could I have missed anything else….
Heheh you are right about missing sherry. That day when she called and sounded so excited, her voice was not so recognizable, I thought it was a long distance call from some European country coz the person spoke some foreign language…..

Warm regards,
Basaria Ahayanutheen

From: Basaria Ahayanutheen Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2007 9:46 AMTo: Norhani Yusof; Khin, Myat KhineCc: Nafsiah Hafizah Khalit; Sharifah B. AliSubject: RE: Labor
Hmmm gals… I went for my check up yday and guess what…. Im 1cm opened yday morning… and doc gave 2 options.. he break the waterbag on the day I decide or I wait for the pain and have natural birth… I chose the later…. And I went to taman titiwangsa and went for a walk 1 round…. And im at work… he said I wont be long so he cancelled the appointment for Wednesday ni…. Im 14 days early if I deliver hari ni… please pray for me…

Warm regards,
Basaria Ahayanutheen

From: Khin, Myat KhineSent: 01 March 2007 09:59To: Basaria Ahayanutheen; Norhani YusofCc: Nafsiah Hafizah Khalit; Sharifah B. AliSubject: RE: Labor

Hi Bass! Looks like I must camp out at DSH every other week now - sumbody always giving birth! Better not stay at office lah I risau nanti terdeliver di sana. Kenapa tak MC terus? Nak clear last minute work ke?

Congrats in advance! Happy cuti dua bulan! : )

on 1 march 2007, i prepared the handing over note to my boss and ensured all documentation was in order. that day, i knew it was going to be soon as i had several weird pains for moments. i could not dismiss them as normal coz i never did experience those pain.


that evening, my husband came to pick me up and i wanted to go for a walk in taman jaya. i told him that night, i would like to just go n check at dsh on the dilation. he said it was alright and we would go friday evening. i put on a long face, mumbling to myself, “shouldn’t i be the one who knows better of the signs and changes? afterall, the baby is in me!!!!” thank god, we decided to go that evening otherwise, as feared by khine, i would have delivered at my office on friday. my husband had a daily flight friday and saturday morning before his 1 month holiday started.


we went just after the short walk (it rained) for a checkup and discovered that i was 2.5 cm dilated and the nurse asked us to get admitted ‘now’!!! i said nooooo.... i wanted to go home, pray and read yaasin. my vain husband left me at my in laws and on top of everything, went home to shave so that he would look handsome for his baby.... we got admitted at 11.39 that night.

at 6 the next morning, i was already 3 cm and at 8, the nurse told me to get ready, ‘the doctor wanna check you in the other room’ i still didn’t know that the other room is the labor room. i was wondering why they insisted that i change into the hospital gown and sit on the wheel chair. i told them i could walk to the room. still, i didn’t know i was already in labor. when i reached the labor room, i saw everything was ready and laid down well on the table, my mind told me it was for another person since the nurse said that the doctor would like to just check me. then came my gynae and the mid-wife...checked me and said i was already 4cm... he took a long stick.. only then it occurred to me that he is gonna burst my waterbag... i panicked and told him not to burst my waterbag... he replied ‘now the doctor is in charge’ and went on with his task.... he then gently asked me why wouldn’t i want the waterbag burst.... i looked at him sadly and said, ‘ want to deliver normal’. he said, with a laugh, ‘of course lah girl, we will try as much as possible for normal delivery... he then told my husband that by 12 noon, i should have delivered. the doc asked me if i am interested in any pain relief? i said no... he said ‘only 2% of women did it and if you managed to do that, i would give you a gold medal’.

my husband switched on the quranic recital from chapter 1 al-fatihah, got the special pillow for my back as hani suggested, aromatherapy and ehehehe my modern malay husband, also bought me bunga melur which is my favourite. i got strapped to the bed... i wanted to tell the nurse not to strap me as what i read on the internet but the nurses didn’t entertain. i asked to be on my side but then they could not get the readings correctly. i think my husband was nervous coz that was it....the moment finally came. i just relaxed... in my mind, i was waiting for such great pain and it never came. i was on the phone with my friends and family. they were all surprised. my mum was already on the way to kl. she couldn’t stay home while her little princess was on the hospital bed.

after sometime, the dilation didn’t improve so they put me on drips to induce contraction. slight pain started….all along, i used the color vibration therapy as aromatherapy to which i largely attribute my painless delivery to. the therapy uses physic methodology and vibration. my husband and i was checking the readings against my contractions... the readings showed that i have been having contractions but i could not feel it. it was 40 to 60... i was busy testing my pain tolerance level... the maximum contraction reading on the graph is 100 but mine was only up to 60.... then came the pain... they are like waves, i told my husband to check the readings and it was 90.... i could still bear it? my dilation was already 6 to 7 cm...and there was the last call on epidural... i said no... i called my sis and asked her if she had any pain killers before... she told me she did take pethidine and suggested that i took it too. she said it will only reduce the pain but it would still be painful. i panicked and told myself not to try to be a hero, just settle for pethidine....

once i got it, it really made my body numb... my brains told me bout the pain and contractions. i felt like i was moving in slow motion. i heard voices but the pain was like very bad period cramps... imagine without the pain relief, probably the pain would be more unbearable. it was way past 12 noon and still no signs of anything happening. the nurse informed that the doc would come by at 3 pm.. finally, he came bout 3.10... i heard him say ‘you have done a good job this far, just a little more’. he asked me to push and i did...but then, i was feeling so numb. i refused to look at my husband or hold his hand or drink the water he offered. pity him, wanting to help his wife but don’t know how. he just stood by me, folding his arms. it gave me a reflection of my character....

i realised that when i was in real pain or problem, i would keep them to myself..... i just made me realise that i am way stronger then what i thought..

the doc used vacuum as i wasn’t pushing enough and also because i took pethidine late, i was still so numb... i do remember when baby's head appeared as the doc called nasir to look.... as it turned out, the baby was looking up and that was the reason for the delay…then they asked me to push again.. and doc asked the nurse to get something ready... i panicked again and asked what was going on... but no one responded. i saw the doc holding something and the nurse holding some tube, and there were hissing sound.

moments later, the baby was on me, looking at me. i remember saying, “allahu akhbar, allahu akhbar, allahu akhbar”. i was told later that the doc looked at my husband for him to cut the cord but since my husband was crying, the doc cut. that was it. i delivered my little daughter...

i was in the labor room until 530 pm... my husband recited the azan to the baby twice as he was shaking the first time he recited. he already brought the baby out to show his mum and my mum. as i was wheeled out, i was smiling and laughing (must be the laughing gas).... my mum and mum in law were both on my left and right. as i saw my mum, she held my face and kissed me while being in tears. i was teary myself. my husband appeared relaxed but it must have been quite an experience for him...


motherhood has started on 2 march 2007 fulltime though it had already started 9 months earlier on a part time basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...