Thursday, December 24, 2009

conquering fear...

over lunch, niza and i were talking about swimming and the motivation behind our going for swimming lessons.

i recalled why i went for my lessons... since i was a girl, i like to do things that my brothers did. they learnt swimming since it was taught in school. i didn't. i envied my brothers who could swim. one time, when we went to the beach in penang, i wanted to show off and almost got drowned. this was the incident for my fear of waters.

during my uni days, my friends and i went for swimming lessons. what i would usually do was to rest in the water while my friends were busy swimming. i couldn't swim for the fear in me was greater than the desire to swim.

after many years, i enrolled myself for swimming lessons at the same pool with some colleagues. this time i was determined to conquer my fear... oh well, i did it. i learnt swimming. i could swim. alas, i got married soon after and to-date, i have yet to practice.

looking back, i realised that i am phobic over a few things... i had fear of driving, swimming, getting married, etc and i was determined to conquer them all. however, there is one thing i can never conquer.... i am claustrophobic... i need the space both physically and mentally... hahaha now, i understand why i married the man i did.... his nature of work gives me the space....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...