Thursday, December 3, 2009

st. clare's

i don't know if the title of the post rings a bell to many of you but to me, the enid blyton's st. clare's series is part of my primary school memories...

when i was at my sister's place last weekend, i saw my niece's collections... the twins at st. clare's being the first of the series caught my eye. it brought me down the memory lane.

when i was in school, we were allowed to go the library every wednesday for about 40 minutes and the 10 - 12 year olds were allowed to borrow a book (or 2 books; 1 in english and 1 in malay, i am not sure) for a week. what we used to do was to try and finish reading the books as soon as possible and exchange with other friends. in order to quickly finish reading the books, i used to read them at every spare time available...between lessons, during recess, while waiting for the school bus, while having lunch and under my bed in my room afterwards. we read the series of st. clare's, malory towers, the famous five, the secret seven, the naughtiest girls etc. though my parents emphasize on reading, it has to be either school books or readers digest (or the asiaweek magazine that my dad had subscribed). my parents didn't understand the passion we all had for reading story books, so that was why we all hid under our beds and read. now, what cause shall we attribute to the fact that we are all wearing glassess?!!!

there was an urge to re-read the book at the age of 35 and yes, i did. i borrowed the book and started reading them. i read them just like how i read them when i was about 10 - 12 year old. i read at every intervals and today, i even read during lunch at the office cafe. i really hoped that no one would care to ask me what i was reading and they didn't. thank god... i would read some more until my 2.30 pm meeting.
the cover of my niece's book though the ones i read in school had a different cover...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...