Monday, July 26, 2010

always a daddy's girl

my dad fell ill recently and was admitted to the hospital for about a week. just a month ago, he came down from sabah (he is based in sabah), attended his latest grandson's naming ceremony and had his health checked.... alhamdullilah, his health check only showed that he needed to reduce his cholesterol and i think, some issues with thyroid. all of a sudden, he called from KLIA some two weeks ago telling me that he was on the way to ipoh coz he didn't feel well. he vaguely told me what he thought was wrong with him. since my husband wasn't around and i don't really know my way around KLIA, i called my brother to check on my dad. i could feel that something was really wrong with him. oh well, as i thought... when i called home, i was told that my dad was admitted for a very high blood pressure which could result in a stroke. i was frantic thinking of the state he was possibly in when he made that casual call from KLIA earlier that day... i was calmer when i was told that he was better and tests are being run to find out what was wrong with him. finally, he was diagnosed with a lung infection. it was such a relief and i prayed for his good health. i couldn't speak to him all week for fear of breaking down which upset him. daddy's girl didn't call him! i broke down a few times when i was on the phone with my mum. thank God that my siblings who lived in ipoh could attend to him. that weekend, we made a trip back to ipoh. it was a full house like the festive seasons since all my brothers and sisters made that trip back home too except for my younger brother who lives in sabah and his family. you see, my dad is a very determined person and he has the strength and ability to move a mountain! that strength brought him home to his family when he almost collapsed physically. i grew up idolising my dad just like any other daddy's girl. i knew him as the most good looking man (i dare say he was in his prime), a great orator (he writes such good speeches and delivers them well during the days he was doing public service), a great countryman (he helped in many forms all those people who came to him for help), a man who made his fortune but was never been able to sustain his successes as he was a very honest businessman, a man who fathered his children the best way he could although it may not be the best due to his not so beautiful childhood, a man who believed in giving his children education as the greatest asset....etc. what i can say about my father is never ending... he is my father... the person i think of when i listen to frank sinatra's my way (the other person would be tun dr. mahathir mohamed) i am his girl and i know i will always be his girl. he had said this in many occasions and it was most touching when he said it on the day he gave me away in marriage. he had and has his weaknesses like every other person but what he has given us made us what we are today... it is all his hardwork and sacrifice, not forgetting the great force behind him, my wonderful mum who has no flaws in my eyes. i might have wanted more from my father but i am proud of him for the man he is and i pray that i will amulet the best in my parents. i am glad that my dad is alright and i really hope that he will be blessed with good mental and physical health for him to be around many many years to see his grandchildren grow older!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...