Friday, March 6, 2009

modern mum

i raise my children mostly by following the two books that had been so helpful... asian parenting and the what to expect series. for my firstborn, i referred to the books very diligently especially on each month's development in the first year but with my son i hardly do!!!! maybe, i kind of got the hang of motherhood.

but NO... trust me, you tend to forget from one child to another. to tell you the truth, i cant even remember how i used to bathe nadia nasira when she was a baby. how far was it into the past? less than 24 months ago.... on that note, i must say that i used to be upset when my MIL said she couldn't remember to everything i asked on how to go about with nadia nasira expecting her to remember stuff she did when she was a new mother. now, i know what she meant....

the downside about being a modern mum and using the books as a guide is that you have to answer to too many questions, explain and clarify to those around you all the time (of course, they don’t read the book...so, they don’t understand the rationale for a lot of things i did and said). i used to explain to my own mum and my MIL things like you don’t need to feed breastfed babies with water, you don’t add salt into children's food for sodium is not good for their kidney and etc.

the last time i visited dr. jana at dsh, i asked him a lot of things that i read in the book which was against the traditional practice. his response really made me laugh. he asked me who said this and who said that. and when i said my MIL..... he said, if MIL said, you must follow regardless what the doctor says!!! i told that to my MIL and she laughed.

hahahaahah the thing is....i believe the book more than anything else..... why, simply because it makes sense!!!! something i argue with my mum all the time from small. when she tells me no, it is always without an explanation. so, she doesn’t get my buy-in.

do i say kids nowadays (that includes me, i guess)? the world has changed from total obedience to i need to be told why before i decide to or not to do something (regardless of what you tell me to do).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...